- Blog post
The credo of good bosses
Leadership articles often focus on what good bosses do. But management guru Robert Sutton likes to stress what good bosses believe.
Have a look at these beliefs, which stress the balancing act between humility and decisiveness. Do you share them?
- I have a flawed and incomplete understanding of what it feels like to work for me.
- I strive to be confident enough to convince people that I am in charge, but humble enough to realize that I am often going to be wrong.
- One of the most important, and most difficult, parts of my job is to strike the delicate balance between being too assertive and not assertive enough.
- Because I wield power over others, I am at risk of acting like an insensitive jerk — and not realizing it.
- I aim to fight as if I am right, and listen as if I am wrong — and to teach my people to do likewise.