- Blog post
It’s not the economy, stupid: Sales techniques for an uncertain economy
Outside-the-box sales techniques win sales during uncertain economic times
Remember the mantra from Bill Clinton’s first campaign? James Carville wanted to keep everyone in the campaign on message, so he posted a sign: “It’s the economy, stupid.”
Well, maybe it’s time to talk about something else.
One sales manager recently issued a ban on salespeople complaining about the economy. Not because the economy hasn’t been a challenge – of course it has – but because there’s nothing salespeople can do about it.
Plenty of people are making sales in this economy. So the next time you start to blame the economy or the state of your industry or the Internet, first ask if you’ve done all you can in the areas under your control.
- Can you make more contacts with with customers, prospects and ex-customers?
- Have you followed up with former clients who have changed jobs?
- How many new prospects have you researched this month?
- What have you done to improve ROI for your customers?
- Have you investigated cross-selling opportunities with existing customers?
- Are you making the most of peak selling time, or getting distracted with low-priority tasks?
photo credit: herval