- Blog post
How to bust out of a slump
OK, so you’re in a slump. Sales you thought were slam dunks fell through. You can’t get people on the phone. It feels like you’re the only one in the world going through this.
All salespeople, just like all golfers or baseball players, have periods when the bounces aren’t going their way. But don’t just patiently wait out a slump. Take these actions:
- Admit you’re in trouble and work with your sales manager. He or she can help you “jump start” the problem and find an easier solution to what you’re facing.
- Determine if you’re doing something new and different. Are you paying the price for something you changed? Think about it. It could be something that you began doing weeks ago but that only now is starting to hurt your sales. If you can pinpoint what you’ve altered, you can get back to your winning ways.
- Prospect. Get on the phone and set appointments with a fresh group of people. The fact is, when you’re on the phone, you’re canvassing your own territory and that alone will bring you results.
- Think about new opportunities. Have you been focusing too much on existing business and not enough on new opportunities? Network and research new ways to mold your product to find new customers.
- Remember what made you successful from the start. Recall how hard you worked to achieve success. Remember, success doesn’t knock on your door – but opportunity may.
Source: Stephan Schiffman, president of D.E.I. Management Group, Inc., a sales training company based in New York City.
photo credit: r w h
Click to view comments
Get a demo of all our training features
Connect with an expert for a one-on-one demonstration of how Rapid Learning can help develop your team.