Loose clothing and rotating equipment leads to tragedy

by on January 6, 2015 · 0 Comment POSTED IN: Workplace Safety Network
IMG_0575

Tragedy struck a Sparks, NV, machine shop when a 33-year-old machinist died after his clothing became entangled in a vertical lathe and pulled him into the equipment. Rescuers responded to a call about 6 a.m. Dec. 10 at Ebara International Corporation, but were unable to save Jason Cheely. OSHA is investigating.

The young man’s loss is a tragic reminder of the dangers of loose clothing, jewelry, or hair getting pulled into rotating equipment or moving parts. Rotating parts remaining ongoing hazards. Make sure workers have a pre-operation checklist that includes securing hair, jewelry and rotating equipment – so you don’t have to rely on people “just being careful” to avoid injuries.

Click to View Comments

Leave a Reply

Close

Request a Free Demo

We'd love to show you how this industry-leading training system can help you develop your team. Please fill out this quick form or give us a call at 877-792-2172 to schedule your one-on-one demo with a Rapid Learning Specialist.