Everybody knows that engaged employees try harder, do more, and create better feelings around them than their more blase co-workers.
As a manager, you have a big responsibility for the engagement – or disengagement – of your department or team.
Employee development consultancy Blessing White suggests that if you’re interested in fostering a higher level of engagement, you first ask yourself these seven questions:
- How engaged is each team member? If you’re not sure, how will you find out?
- What do you know about each person’s interests and aspirations?
- What can you do to ensure they understand organizational priorities?
- What feedback do they need to increase their performance?
- What type of support does each team member want? If you don’t know, how will you find out?
- How strong are your relationships with team members – really?
- Do team members understand your personal motivation? Do you understand theirs?
Subscribe to the Leadership Blog
Get the latest research on workplace learning with weekly posts delivered to your inbox