It’s fine to confront your reports when there’s an issue that needs airing. But it’s critically important to handle the encounter the right way. Here are five questions to ask yourself before you initiate a faceoff:
- Does the message need to be shared for the success of the person, your team and yourself?
- Are you prepared to approach the person in a way that encourages receptiveness, while putting aside any assumptions you may have about him or her?
- Are you prepared to speak your truth specifically and authentically, while at the same time avoiding brutality or abrasiveness?
- Are you prepared to tell the person how the issue affects you?
- Are you genuinely interested in hearing the person’s perspective on the issue, even if it is very different from your own?
Subscribe to Leadership Blog
Get the latest research on workplace learning with weekly posts delivered to your inbox